Thursday, April 24, 2008

It's my turn.

Hello Cyberspace - I know that all of you who read this blog are really wanting to find out what my wife has to say. Today, I thought I would give it a turn. I really don't like to write but I did feel like God was wanting me to begin blogging. Why? I have no idea. So, I decided I would just share what's been on my heart lately. Here goes nothing. If you didn't know already I am a Student Pastor. Being a Student Pastor means that I have the privilege and responsibility to preach Jesus to a group of middle and high school students every week. This past week we began a new series in which we are talking about relationships with our parents. Fun topic huh! I really have been blown away by some of the things God has shown me. Ephesians 6:2-3 says,"Honor your father and mother. This is the first commandment with a promise. If you honor your father and mother, things will go well for you, and you will have a long life on the earth." After reading this passage I thought that it sounded really nice. It almost sounds happy. But after thinking about it for a while I began to ask God, What about the person whose dad walked out on them when they were five? What about the mom who had an affair and left your dad for another guy? Because not only did your mom walk out on your dad but she walked out you to didn't she? What about the kid who got the crap beat out of him by his alcoholic father? Do they have to honor their parents. Surely God doesn't intend for them to "honor" their parents, or does He? The simplest way to put it is yes. Yes, God does intend for those children to honor their parents. (Let me make it clear that if you are in an abusive situation, you need to get out now. It doesn't mean that you are supposed to accept being abused.) Do I agree with it or even understand it? Not really. I do know that it's not up to me to understand everything about God for me to do something. One thing I've learned through this is that honoring your parents doesn't mean that you agree with them. It doesn't even mean that you like them. It doesn't mean that you have completely forgiven them for the pain they caused you by their actions. But it does mean that you obey and respect them. Nothing more, nothing less. God didn't say honor your father and mother if they raise you in a perfect home and never hurt your feelings. God said to honor your father and your mother. So my question for all of you today: Do you honor your father and mother? Just some thoughts.

No comments: