Saturday, June 27, 2009

I'm just trying to seal it...........

So this is my most favorite hymn, I actually had to google it to find the exact name, "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing". I wanted to include all of the lyrics in case you weren't familiar with the song. Maybe it is just me, but these are the most profound words, I just can't get over the depth to this song! It sounds so old timey for this very modern gal, but the words to this song will never grow old. Recently a friend gave me a CD of redone hymns and this was the first song on the CD (how cool is God). Well, the reason I just had to share is because I was driving recently, kind of praying, probably whining just to be totally honest and the Lord spoke so clearly to my heart, He said, "Kelly, I am just trying to seal it". I was caught off guard at first, trying to seal it..........then smiling from ear to ear, I knew what my awesome Father was saying. He was telling me that He was only answering a prayer I have prayed a million times. See, if you scroll down and notice the bolded verses, you will see a portion of this hymn that I have prayed to God over and over these past few years. If there is one heart on this earth that is prone to wander, it is mine. Every time I hear this song I beg God to seal my heart, seal it for thy courts above, so that satan won't get even an inch in my life again. I got so tickled thinking of me praying that prayer so whole heatedly and then complaining constantly when God simply began to do what I had asked. The hard parts of life are often the best glue. How annoying that I pray prayers like these but am appalled at worst or surprised at best as they are answered.

Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love.

Sorrowing I shall be in spirit,
Till released from flesh and sin,
Yet from what I do inherit,
Here Thy praises I’ll begin;
Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Here by Thy great help I’ve come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.

Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood;
How His kindness yet pursues me
Mortal tongue can never tell,
Clothed in flesh, till death shall loose me
I cannot proclaim it well.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.


O that day when freed from sinning,
I shall see Thy lovely face;
Clothed then in blood washed linen
How I’ll sing Thy sovereign grace;
Come, my Lord, no longer tarry,
Take my ransomed soul away;
Send thine angels now to carry
Me to realms of endless day.

My flesh would ask me nicely to please stop praying this prayer...........but I am going to refuse. Even knowing that this prayer will come with a price, it is certainly a small one to pay considering the alternative.
I can promise you all that "O to grace how great a debtor daily I'm constrained to be"!
I by all means need "thy goodness like a fetter to bind my wondering heart to Thee"
FYI-a fetter is a chain or shackle to the feet :) google again and man even more appropriate!
But most assuredly, "I'm prone to wonder, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love!"
So for goodness gracious, even if I am kicking and screaming.........................
"Here's my heart Lord take and seal it, seal it for thy COURTS ABOVE!"

2 comments:

Irene said...

Hi, Kelly! You will never believe how I found you (again). I was looking at the July 1 Scriptures on Beth Moore's blog, and there you were! Have you been posting memory verses since January? Beverly had told us of your blog, but I haven't visited you in a long time.

May God continue to bless the Bullock family!
Love,
Irene Gudgeon

The Feicht Family said...

FAVORITE of mine too! Especially the version on that CD that Mary made for us, it's awesome :) Miss you tons and I can't wait to see you guys soon!